Holy Cross Cathedral
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross serves the Catholic archdiocese of Lagos, Nigeria.
The first cathedral (which was a pro-cathedral) building was inaugurated in 1881 and built by stonemasons and architects Lazarus Borges da Silva and Francisco Nobre. This old cathedral saw the ordination of the first three Yoruba priests, late monsignors Lawrence Layode, Julius Onih, and Stephen Adewuyi in 1929 by Bishop Thomas Brodericks, the apostolic vicar of Western Nigeria after the death of Bishop Ferdinand Terrien. By the 1930s a larger cathedral was needed, and the older one was demolished. The current church building of French Gothic style architecture had its foundation stone laid on 6 August 1934 by Bishop Francis O’Rourke and it was completed in 1939.
On 18 April 1950 the apostolic vicariate of Lagos was elevated to metropolitan archdiocese with the bull Laeto accepimus of Pope Pius XII.